Monday, February 11, 2008

Star Trek: Legacy

This Game is FREAKING AWESOME!!!
I am a Star Trek fan, and now I have a worthwhile game based on such.
I am really happy with the way piloting works, though the way some ships are so slow is a little annoying.
The gameplay is good, though the learning curve is inhibitive if you go to far before you learn the basics.
For example, I was trying to repair one item and defend another,(easy if you are good at team management), without learning how to give separate commands to different ships.
I failed several times before learning that the different ships can be grouped.
The Game spans all the Eras in the Star Trek universe, from the Very first Enterprise(Jonathan Archer's) to the Sovereign era(never heard of it, but it is the latest in the game).
I am not sure exactly at this point if Voyager and DS9 are in the story, but the ships are in MP so I hold out hope.
The game features the ACTUAL ACTORS from the series, Kate Mulgrew,William Shatner,Scott Bakula,Patrick Stewart, Whoever the heck played Sisko.
I was slightly disappointed with certain control elements.
For example, speed is controlled, by tapping B(Full Impulse, and All Stop alternate) more delicate adjustments are made in a menu that pops up if you hold B, this is impossible to do smoothly, especially if you are in a fight.(The menu is navigated with the same stick controlling your Ship)
Also, the Right Bumper locks on an enemy, but the lock breaks if you move the Camera stick(not hard, especially if you just got out of a free roaming area)

Not significant issues but still...
As for the Ships, I find it great that the ships from the different shows/movies are present(the Excelsior, and it's refit), along with some variants I've never seen(such as the Akula class).
I was a little wary of the menus used to navigate long range, but they work better than I could hope, coordinating all of your armada in one stroke.

All in All, I am happy to finally have my Trekkie dreams realized,
Warp Speed Mister Sulu!!!

Some tips: I recommend using a blend of ships, one Battleship class, one Destroyer, your current era vessel(Enterprise, Voyager ETC.), and one of matching class to the current era vessel.

Also, keep the manual on hand, it can save you, if a complex action is not going right, look it up, there is no shame in learning.

0 Comments:

My Favorite Whizkids

  • Mom-The Sleepy Reader
  • My little Sis- Myspace Guru
  • Dale Reynolds-Remakes of popular songs
  • GaMeR- Owner and Creator of PWNEM.com
  • Me(lol)- I do Internet Graphics in my spare time.