Thursday, May 1, 2008

R.A. Salvatore: The Dark Elf Series

I hope the name is right, you see there are at least 20 books with the same main characters and land of origin.
I personally found these to be my favorite Fantasy books ever.
The main Character, Drizzt Do'Urden is a Drow(Dark Elf) from the underground city of Menzobarrenzan, the city of the Drow.
Drizzt is an oddity among the Drow, he doesn't fit well into the backstabbing, betrayal and murderous hierarchy of the Dark Elf society, Also his Eyes are Lavender(even in infrared), not good in the Underdark, where light is at a minimum and the creature have to see heat to survive.
So after a while(2-3 books) he leaves his ancestral home to live on the surface.
Drizzt is an amazing Character with more depth of heart than any fiction character I can think of.
He is also the coolest, possessing unmatched skill with twin Scimitars.
Emotions and intrigue are all good, but most people read this type of fantasy for the combat, and this is where Salvatore blows any other writer out of the water.
The epic duels in the books are so detailed that I can almost hear the clang as metal strikes metal.
The full on war that wages between Dwarves and Orcs made me laugh and cheer, as Dwarven ingenuity meets Orc squishability.
The moral dilemma's faced in the books are complex and at the same time, they are compact, so that the excitement never gets to where you don't want to read it anymore.
I own all of these I could find and I'm going to get more.

1 Comments:

J Scott Savage said...

Great review. I especially like the dwarven ingenuity and orcish squishability. Haven't read the series, but have added it to my list. Also, thanks for joining the tour.

My Favorite Whizkids

  • Mom-The Sleepy Reader
  • My little Sis- Myspace Guru
  • Dale Reynolds-Remakes of popular songs
  • GaMeR- Owner and Creator of PWNEM.com
  • Me(lol)- I do Internet Graphics in my spare time.